What does it mean to meditate?
Here's the answer:
To meditate on the Bible means to think about God’s truths, remember them, and apply them to your life.
Meditating on the Bible is very important. Meditation requires you to stop and think about what you have learned from the Bible. Just like when you eat your food, you chew it. Similarly, when you read the Bible, you should think about what you have read.
Proper meditation requires you to remember what you have read. The only way to apply the Bible’s teaching to your life is if you remember it. When you meditate on the Bible, it helps you keep God’s Word in your heart and in your brain.
Do you need help with how to meditate? Here are some tips.
- Before you begin to meditate, ask God for help. Ask Him to help you better apply the Bible’s teaching to your life.
- Pick out a small part of the Bible or even a single verse to meditate on. After you read it, take time to think about what the passage means.
- Some kids like to act out a verse or use hand motions to help remember it.
- Consider writing the verses on a piece of paper and taping it somewhere you will see it often—like your bathroom mirror or on your desk.
- Finally, you should think about how you can apply the verse to your life. Then do it!
"LORD, may these words of my mouth please you. And may these thoughts of my heart please you also. You are my Rock and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14).
"As I lie on my bed I remember you. I think of you all night long" (Psalm 63:6).
"I spend time thinking about your rules. I consider how you want me to live" (Psalm 119:15).